Sunday, February 17, 2013

Elysian Brewing Company - Mortis Sour Persimmon Ale

A beer to die for?

It's been a while since I posted a beer review. Working 12 hour days and fighting the flu has left my appetite for beer by the roadside, I'm sorry to say. I have a few bombers sitting sadly on the kitchen floor, begging me to make room for them in the fridge, but I just haven't had the wherewithal to pop those bottle caps.

Well, tonight I decided to get back on the beer roll with one I've been hoping to try: Elysian Mortis Sour Persimmon Ale. This beer is #11 of Elysian's 12 Beers of the Apocalypse. Is number 12 coming out before 12/21? Just wondering.

This beer poured into my goblet a deep golden color with a bright white, fizzy head. The head dissipated quickly and left just a tiny amount of lacing behind.

Aroma is primarily Belgian yeast. Grassy, bready with fruit and floral notes in the background.

Taste isn't nearly as sour as I expected. There's a hit of sour up front and then big taste of apple and spice. Flavor of grain and yeast are left lightly on the palate.

Medium mouthfeel with light carbonation.

I'm trying to decide if I like this beer or not. The sweetness is just a bit too much. Hmmmm. I don't know... I'm going to give Mortis a Big Dumb Galoot rating of 2 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment