Sunday, February 17, 2013

Elysian Brewing Company - The Immortal IPA

Immortal? I killed it.

Man, what a slacker I am. I started this blog with all kinds of good intentions. My plan was to drink and review a different beer every day for a year. I started on 10/3/12, so I should have 114 beer reviews under my belt. Instead, I've only posted 88. That's 26 beers short. @#$&*!!!

Now, I'm pretty sure I've chugged down way more than the needed 114. My massive beer gut can attest to my guzzling dedication. No, my problem is discipline. I'm just too lazy to record and review every single one of those brewskis--especially after consuming mass quantities of said brewskis. I really need to get on the stick.

I'm getting a jump on it this weekend. My fridge is stocked up with six different craft beers to drink and review. Here's the first of the bunch: Elysian The Immortal IPA.

The beer poured into my thrift store pint glass ($0.25!) a clear, golden orange color. The ample white head came up more than a finger thick and stuck around long enough to coat my 'stache. Decent lacing left behind.

Aroma is straight up what you want in a solid IPA: citrus, pine, with sweet caramel malt in the background.

Taste is grapefruit and orange. Not a big sting to this one. Lighter on the hops bitterness and a bit heavier on the sweet malt than I prefer. Bready malt to the finish--reminds me of sourdough--that takes the edge of the sweet. Nice.

Medium mouthfeel with appropriate carbonation. Very, very drinkable and no noticeable alcohol with the 6.3% ABV.

This beer is a solid performer. Not my favorite because I do like the powerhouse IPA's. Nevertheless, it's very drinkable and absolutely would be appropriate for times when you want to knock back more than a couple of IPA's in a sitting. I'm giving this one 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment