Sunday, February 17, 2013

Elysian Brewery - The Great Pumpkin Imperial Pumpkin Ale

Not Charlie Brown's Great Pumpkin...

I bought a bomber of this brew at News Seasons the other day. I'm not a huge fan of pumpkin ales. Some people are crazy for the stuff, but I actually prefer my pumpkin in pie. So there, you know my bias right from the get-go. Funny, I had some pumpkin curry for dinner tonight, so I was already primed for the pumpkin you could say.

The beer poured into my goblet a hazy orange color. The white head came in at about a 1/2 inch thick and quickly faded away to a minimal amount of lacing.

The aroma was primarily pumpkin and pumpkin spices. Cloves and cinnamon. I picked up some malt in the background.

The taste was distinctively fruity, as you would expect. Pumpkin, apple, pear. There was a bitter sting bringing up the finish. Not hoppy. I'm thinking it was just from the alcohol. Not bad though. As the beer warmed   up a bit, I noted a slightly nutty flavor--the pumpkin seed coming though.

Medium mouthfeel. Interesting level of carbonation. As I said, I'm not a huge pumpkin ale fan, but I found this one to be pleasantly drinkable. I'm giving The Great Pumpkin a rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment