Sunday, February 17, 2013

Drake's Brewing - Denogginizer

Bang your head.

Wowsers! I'm going to get right to it with this one. No, that's a lie. I have to blather on about something first.

What I love about drinking big, bold IPA's is that there's often a tiny bit of pain to go along with the pleasure. Ew, that sounds creepy. Hold on, I'm not the Marques de Sade. Let me explain. I love hot chiles. (How's that for a tangent? Wait, there's a correlation coming.) The hotter the better, but there also has to be a delicious flavor payoff to make that chile sting worth the trouble. I feel the same way about a big hop beer. When the hop bitterness delivers a humongous zap to the jaw, there's usually going to be an awesome flavor extravaganza to follow. Still sounds a little creepy, uh? Okay, back to the review.

Denogginizer is an IIPA with 90 IBU's and an ABV of 9.75%. Respectable. The beer poured into my pint glass a clear, deep, dark orange color with a one finger thick white head. The head dissipated quickly but left a good amount of lacing behind.

Aroma is big resinous pine and citrus hops. There is a very sweet cotton candy scent in the background. Floral and herbal notes in there, too.

Zing! There's an immediate bitter hit of hops. The jaw is paralyzed for just a second. After the initial hop attack, there's the flavors of grapefruit and orange. A honey sweetness follows it up. Nice. Just a little bit of an alcohol hit there at the end.

Medium to slightly heavier mouthfeel on this one. Subtle creaminess to the finish.

Denogginizer is wonderful IIPA. I'd pull one of these out of any cold case I spot it in. BeerGuyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4 is well-deserved.


No comments:

Post a Comment