Sunday, February 17, 2013

Double Mountain Brewery - Kolsch

Pint bottles of Double Mountain!

Double Mountain Brewery is one of my favorite destinations in Hood River, Oregon. Yeah, some people like to sailboard  and kayak and tool around on watercraft. Me, I like nothing more than drinking fine craft beer and eating tasty, tasty pizza. They have both at Double Mountain.

There was quite a bit of hubbub bubbling around about the recent release of Double Mountain brews in bottles here in Stumptown and surrounding environs. I saw a Tweet from the folks an Mainbrew saying that they had bottles of the stuff in their cold case, and that if you mentioned Twitter, you got 10% off. Deal. Mainbrew is right down the freeway from my workplace, so I headed on over last night and picked some up. 

I've really been trying to go outside my IPA bubble, so the first beer I'm trying is the Kolsch. Although you can't see the logo in the photo (I really need a better camera), I poured the beer into a genuine Double Mountain pint glass that I picked up at the Goodwill for $0.50. (Deal!)

The beer poured a bright, pale yellow color with a fizzy white head. The head dissipated quickly and left very little lacing behind. The aroma is primarily malt and yeast. There's a bit of a lemony zest in there-very light. Taste is of sour yeast, grain and malt. There's a bit of a corny taste rolling around in the background, but nothing offensive about it. Little bit of a hop bitterness to the finish.

Good stuff. I could drink a wheelbarrow full of this beer--I actually use an old wheelbarrow for a giant cooler at my family BBQ's. I'm giving Double Mountain Kolsch a rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment