Sunday, February 17, 2013

Double Mountain Brewery - Hop Lava

I lava this beer.

It shouldn't take anybody too long to figure out that I'm an IPA fanatic. It's the beer style that suits my personality: In your face, heavy hitting and bitter. Ha, just kidding...but maybe not.

Double Mountain has quite a reputation for producing high quality, no nonsense beers. Their brewery is a "not to be missed" destination in the beautiful city of Hood River, Oregon. Not only is the beer fantastic, they serve up some mighty fine pizza, too. Thin crust, just the way I like it.

Now that Double Mountain is providing pint bottles of their most excellent wares for beer lovers here in Portland, I won't need to truck my growler up to Hood River anymore. I hope it doesn't kill the mystique. Kind of like when I was a kid and you could only buy Dodger Dogs at the ballpark, but then they started selling them in the supermarket. Damn, if they didn't taste better at the game.

I picked up several bottles of Double Mountain brews the other day. I popped open the bottle of Hop Lava IPA this afternoon. I'm posting my review for posterity's sake. I've got more than 20 beers tallied against my New Beer Every Day for a Year Quest. The drinking part is easy--it's the documentation on this blog that is proving to be a challenge. 

The beer poured into my official Double Mountain pint glass the typical hazy, bright orange color of an IPA. The head was thick, white and looked like whipped cream. It went away slowly and left a significant amount of frothy lacing behind.

Smell is subtle with a predominant aroma of citrus hops and pine. Taste is pleasantly bitter right up front, with  the expected citrus hops flavors of grapefruit and orange. There's some nice floral complexities to this beer. Hints of lavendar. Some peppery spiciness in the end, with a nice dry finish.

I love this IPA. Not too boozy. Not too much of a bitter sting. There aren't many better, in my humble opinion. I give Double Mountain Hop Lava a perfect score of 4 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment