Sunday, February 17, 2013

Deschutes Brewery - Chasin' Freshies

Deschutes Chasin' Freshies
doesn't interest Merry

My neighborhood Fred Meyer is going through a lengthy re-model. Whenever I go there, a new area is all torn up and it takes forever to find stuff. Nevertheless, I think it's going to be worth the aggravation because one of the improvements is a vastly larger beer section. The store can now boast a selection of craft bombers half an aisle long. Woo hoo! Way to do it, Freddie!

I was in Fred Meyer the other day and snatched up a bottle of Deschutes fresh hop IPA, Chasin' Freshies. I brought it home and drank it while I was whipping up a batch of my own home brew.

Chasin' Freshies poured into my pint glass a clear, pale yellow color with a foamy white head. The head was about a 1/2 inch thick and stuck around for a while. Lots of bubbles. The aroma was light citrus and subtle malt. The taste was the same. Very clean and crisp. Thin mouthfeel. The bottle reports a 5.3% ABV.

This certainly isn't your typical fresh hop IPA. Nothing big about it, for sure. My IPA loving dog, Merry the Wonder Beagle, didn't even move off the sofa from her late morning nap when I popped the bottle open. That's not a good sign. Merry typically goes nuts when there's a hoppy aroma wafting through the room. With Chasin' Freshies: nothin'. You can see her still snoozin' in the photo above.

This is an easy drinking beer. I don't think I'd pay six bucks for a bomber of it again, though. On my beer rating scale, Chasin' Freshies gets 2 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment