Sunday, February 17, 2013

Cascade Brewing - Black Cap Raspberry

Pucker power!
We had lunch at the Raccoon Lodge this afternoon. Yes, I'm always dragging my wife to a brewpub, but I think she wasn't too upset about it today. We got there fairly early and we were able to get a table right in front of the fireplace. The food was really good, too.

My wife got the French Dip from the lunch special menu--$9.95. I got the BBQ brisket sandwich. Both plates were quite tasty. My wife really liked the clam chowder.

Of course, I was really there for some beer. The Raccoon Lodge is operated by the folks who run Cascade Brewing and their specialty is sour ales. I selected the Black Cap Raspberry.

The beer presented in an 8 oz. snifter a beautiful, deep reddish-purple color. The head was pinkish-purple and a full finger thick when it was placed in front of me. It was quite a sight to behold.

The aroma is right up front with sour fruit. Lots of berry with some oak notes.

Taste follows the nose. Big sour berry taste with some pleasant sweetness following it up. There's a nice dry finish. Mouthfeel is medium with some appreciable carbonation. If you like sour candy, you'll like this beer, but it isn't for kiddies. There are enough complex flavors rolling around in this stuff to please the most discriminating adult palate. Excellent.

I'm giving Black Cap Raspberry a respectable Big Dumb Galoot score of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment