Sunday, February 17, 2013

Captured by Porches - Yggdrasil Imperial Pale

Gettin' treed.

Captured by Porches makes some unique beers. Their roots are in homebrewing and it shows--that's a good thing. The beers are all Vegan and sold in 750ml, reusable, dollar deposit bottles. To tell you the truth, I never take the bottles back for the deposit money. Instead, I save them to use for my own homebrew. When I picked up this bottle at the bottleshop, there was almost a 1/4 inch of yeast sitting at the bottom of it.  That might put some folks off, I'm just sayin', but I understand the brewing process, so no big deal.

Yggdrasil Imperial Pale boasts a 9.0% ABV on the label. That's  the heaviest hitter I've ever had from CbP. I appreciate that re-closable stopper because I wouldn't be able to finish that 750ml bottle by myself tonight. Gotta get up early tomorrow morning.

The beer poured into my goblet a cloudy reddish amber color with a huge, off-white head. Hey, I was trying to pour it slow and easy, but the suds came up fast. The head was thick and creamy and left a significant amount of lacing behind.

I noticed the aroma as soon as I popped the stopper. Interesting smell of cotton candy. In the glass, the smell is brown sugar and sweet malt. There's a yeasty, bready smell in the background.

Taste is caramel malt, brown sugar and a noticeable alcohol sting. Bitter hops in the back, but not too overpowering. The finish is creamy with the lingering bitterness and malt flavors left rolling around on the palate.

I'm not certain exactly what category of beer style this one fits into. Not really an IPA or a traditional NW Pale Ale. Nevertheless, I like it. I'm giving Yggdrasil Imperial Pale a Big Dumb Galoot rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment