Sunday, February 17, 2013

Captured by Porches - Invasive Species IPA

Put a bird on that!

One thing I like about Portland is that folks don't just preach the "buy local" mantra that appears to be the latest fad everywhere else in the country. Portlanders don't even give it a second thought because it's just the way they live--and it's been that way forever. Big box stores can still be found in Portland, but they are generally shunned. I haven't been inside a Walmart in years.

The local craft beer industry in Portland is nothing short of spectacular. Oregon has the second highest number of craft breweries per capita in the country and a large number of them are in Portland and surrounding environs. It's not unusual to see dudes strolling down the street with growlers in hand for filling at the local brewpub.

Captured by Porches is a terrific brewer headquartered in St. Helens, OR. They are unique because they sell their beers locally here in Portland out of converted buses and trailers that are basically rolling taprooms. They had a beer bus parked down the street from me last summer and I was in heaven. Every time I took the dog for walk, I'd stop for a beer. The dog was getting skinny, but I wasn't. When the bus moved away, I was heartbroken.

Imagine my delight when I discovered Captured by Porches had returned to that spot (now an up and coming food pod) and are pouring their tasty brews in the neighborhood once more! I stopped in for a growler fill before NYE. I got the Invasive Species IPA. They were also pouring the Yggdrasil IIPA and the Blackbird Stout. (Update: The Captured by Porches beer cart on NE Alberta is once again CLOSED. Dang OLCC is screwing with 'em.)

The IPA poured into my Mason jar (that's the vessel they use at the beer wagon) a cloudy, brownish orange color with a big, foamy, off-white head. The head lasted a long time and left a good amount of lacing behind from rim to rim.

Aroma is floral, herbal with sweet, tropical fruit. Pineapple. Citrus and pine notes in the background.

Taste is citrus hops with mild bitterness. There's an earthy maltiness with an almost medicinal, herbal flavor left on the palate with the finish.

Medium mouthfeel with some serious carbonation. My wife actually poured my first glass for me and you should have seen her jump when the top popped off that growler. Ha.

Certainly not my most favorite IPA, but that's because I like big, in-your-face, massively hoppy IPA's. It's absolutely tasty and highly drinkable. I like that I can walk down the street a few blocks and get a growler or Mason jar filled from taps that are jutting out the side of a cool, converted trailer. Plus, I met the brewer and his wife and they seem like really good people. Put that all together and I'm giving Invasive Species IPA a Big Dumb Galoot rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment