Sunday, February 17, 2013

Captured by Porches - Blackbird Stout

They literally put a bird on it.

I took Merry the Wonder Beagle for a very long walk today. The sun came out shining for the first time in I don't know how long. Portland, Oregon is a wonderful city to live in, but if you're  thinking about making a move here, you really should spend some time in Stumptown in the winter. It rains...and rains...and rains. Seriously, it rains from October to July with barely a break in the soggy. Days like today are as rare as finding a gold nugget in a dog park.

We wandered down NE Alberta Street, which is the main drag in my neighborhood. We stopped by the pet supply store and a food cart called the The Grilled Cheese Grill. The pooch was very well behaved.

On the way back home, we stopped into a food cart pod that contains one of my favorite spots: the Captured by Porches beer wagon. I ordered a Blackbird Stout and we got comfortable at a picnic table. Well, I got comfortable. The ground cover at the pod is crushed rock. It was a little too much for the dog's delicate backside, so she sat on my boot instead.

The beer was presented in a Mason jar (adorned with bird and feather stickers) and was a deep, dark brown/black. The mocha head was more than a finger thick and lasted a good long time. Spotty lacing was left behind when the head finally disappeared.

Aroma is roasted malt with subtle hints of chocolate and toffee.

Taste is lightly smokey, roasted malt. Coffee and chocolate. Not at all bitter but with a some hop character coming through in the back. Ah, that hit the spot.

Mouthfeel is medium with average carbonation.

Very, very drinkable beer and I'm giving Blackbird Stout a very respectable BeerguyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


I was very disappointed to hear that Captured by :Porches will be closing down their Alberta Street beer cart AGAIN on Sunday. It appears the city won't renew their permit. WTF, Portland? That beer wagon was the best thing happening on my street! I'll have to find somebody to yell at down at City Hall.

No comments:

Post a Comment