Sunday, February 17, 2013

Caldera Brewing - Rauch Ur Bock

It's smokey...

I've been really trying to expand my beer drinking horizons lately. I'm a creature of habit and even though I try to do something different, more often than not I end up drinking an IPA. Hey, the tastebuds want what the tatebuds want.

I found a bomber of Rauch Ur Bock in the cold case at Zupan's. First of all, the name... it's clearly German. The "Ur" is actually spelled with an umlaut. Sorry, I'm not going to tinker around in Blogger trying to figure out how to add an umlaut to the "U". Too lazy. Too technologically challenged. If those two dots are important to you, go get a marker and add them to the screen yourself.

This beer is a smoked lager. That's different. Not a lot of smoked lagers in your average cold case. I started reaching for an IPA, but I wandered back over to Rauch Ur Bock. Oh, what the hell, you only live once.

I wasn't sure what would be the appropriate vessel from which to drink a smoked lager. Goblet? Tulip? Stein? I went with an English pint glass. Yeah, that makes sense. Anyway, the beer poured into the glass a medium brown color. The head was a big, foamy off-white. The suds dissipated quickly to almost no lacing.

Smell was brown sugar and dark fruit--raisins and dark cherries. A little bit of smokiness in the nose.

Taste was very smokey, reminded me of burnt bacon. There's a slightly astringent afterburn to the stuff. It's different. Not nearly as sweet tasting as it is sweet smelling. I'm still trying to decide if I like it. Hmmmm, I don't know. It's interesting but maybe just not for me.

I'm giving Rauch Ur Bock a Big Dumb Galoot score of 2 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment