Sunday, February 17, 2013

Caldera Brewing - Hop Hash Ale

Hops, hops, hops.

What to drink during Election Night? Hmmm, make that what to start drinking on Election Night. I try to stay apolitical on this little blog. However, it's not too hard to figure out that I'm standing just slightly left of Dennis Kucinich on most issues. I live in The Peoples' Republic of Portland, for chissakes. 

I've had this bomber of Caldera Brewing's Hop Hash in my fridge for a couple of days. The text on the label says it's an American-style Strong Pale Ale made using pure Lupulin, which is the glandular powder separated from hops flowers. The All Powerful Internets tell me that Lupulin is related to THC. Hmmmm.

The beer poured into the glass a hazy orange/amber color. Holy Toledo (as in swing state Ohio), this brew has a head on it. Two inches thick with globs of off-white clumps. The head lasted and lasted, leaving massive amounts of suds rimming the glass. Cool.

Aroma is citrus and pine. Some floral notes in there. A little funkiness, too.

Taste is big on hops. Grapefruit. Bitter finish. Medium mouthfeel. Not a lot of complexity left on the palate, but the beer is very drinkable. Lupulin is supposed to have a calming effect and I could really use some watching these election results. Shudder.

Nice beer and I would certainly drink it again. I'm giving Hop Hash a Big Dumb Galoot rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment