Sunday, February 17, 2013

Calapooia Brewing Company - Kringle Krack

Badass Santa

They're HEEEEERRRRRE! Winter warmer season is in full swing. Yay! The Holiday Ale Festival starts next week (11/28 to 12/2) and I'm really hoping I shake the last remnants of this freaking flu I've been fighting before the event. Oh, I'm going no matter what, I just want to be able to fully enjoy the experience.

As I stated in a previous post, I was hoping to get some "training" in before the festival by drinking as many winter warmers as I could get my hands on. Unfortunately, the flu has completely screwed up those plans. It's not such a good idea to mix massive quantities of beer with NyQuil, I'm just sayin', unless you really want to wake up in your chonies in the middle of Skidmore Fountain.

I'm feeling a bit better today, so I stopped by Belmont Station, a great bottleshop and taproom here in Portland, Oregon, and picked myself up a box full of beer. One of the brews I brought home was Calapooia Brewing Company's Kringle Krack. Belmont Station has a full door of cold case filled with seasonal beers, so it was a tough decision to make.

Kringle Krack is an American Strong Ale. The label claims an ABV of 7.0%. The beer poured into my goblet a dark brown color with a thick, mocha head. The head dissipated slowly and left a considerable amount of creamy lacing behind.

Aroma is sweet malt and dark fruit. There's a pleasant, earthy funkiness in the background that reminded me of sourdough.

Taste is bitter chocolate, toffee and brown sugar. Not too sweet, however. There's a nice hoppiness and a creamy, dry finish to the stuff. I like it a lot. Medium mouthfeel with a good amount of carbonation. Outstanding.

I didn't detect any alcohol sting while sipping on this delightful beer. I wish I had bought two bottles, to tell you the truth. I'm giving Kringle Krack a Big Dumb Galoot rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment