Sunday, February 17, 2013

Breakside Brewery - Smoked Apple Ale

An apple a day...

Breakside Brewery is one of my favorite brewery/pubs here in Portland, Oregon. They make some flippingly delicious, unique beers, and they also know how to construct a hamburger. Seriously, these folks do pub grub just about as well as they do beer--and that says a lot. A big plus is also the location here on my side of the Willamette. Easy to get to from my front porch and plenty of free parking in the surrounding neighborhood.

We stopped in for lunch yesterday and I spotted their latest seasonal offering up on the taplist. They must have just started pouring it very recently. I had to get a pint.

The beer was delivered to my table a bright, hazy orange color with a big, foamy white head. The suds stuck around for the entire drink, leaving copious amounts of lacing all over the glass.

Aroma was sweet malt and apple pie spices. Not a big waft of apple scent to the nose, as you might expect from the name of the stuff.

This beer is delicious! The spice isn't as pronounced in the flavor as it is in the smell, which is a good thing. You definitely get the apple and cinnamon, but it's subtle enough that it doesn't overpower the other nice flavors going on. There's a slightly bready malt taste with a mildly bitter finish. Light to medium mouthfeel with  some decent carbonation.

I'm not big fruit beer fan, but I could drink this stuff all day. There is a freshness to this beer that absolutely reminds me of eating a crisp cold apple on a Fall morning. Yes, I wish I had a glass of this to go with breakfast this morning. I should have bought a growler of it.

Very unique and another stellar effort from Breakside. I'm giving Smoked Apple Ale a perfect Big Dumb Galoot rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment