Sunday, February 17, 2013

Breakside Brewery - "Ampersand" Chinato Barrel-Aged Saison

Barrel of fun.

It's a special night--I'm thirsty--so I decided to pop open the special bottle of Breakside Brewery's Chinato barrel-aged saison that I had stashed in the fridge. I have no idea what the ABV is on this brew. I can surmise that it is a golden saison and that it has been aged in barrels that once held Chinato vermouth.

The beer poured into my little tulip glass a peach-tinted golden color with a finger thick, white head. Quite a lively exhibition of carbonation rising up the glass. Very little lacing left behind. A tiny ring around the inside of the glass is about it.

Aroma is sweet grape and pear with delicate hints of malt and spice in the background.

Taste is sour apple and grape with a complex spiciness. Light breadiness and malt flavor. There's definitely a booziness, but not a heavy hitter like a bourbon barrel-aged beer. The finish is dry and there's a significant wine quality to this concoction.

Medium mouthfeel with very active carbonation. The booze is more pronounced as the beer warms up.

This beer is delicious. Bravo, Breakside. I'm giving it a BeerGuyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment