Sunday, February 17, 2013

Ale Industries - Orange Shush

Well, shut my mouth...

I picked this beer out of the bargain bin at a local bottleshop. Two bucks for the bomber. I just can't help myself. Whenever I see a sad, lonely, neglected craft beer, I have to adopt it--feel the same way about beagles, too.

Orange Shush has been sitting on the bottom shelf of my fridge for several weeks. Tonight seemed like a good night to pop it open, mainly because it was the only cold beer in the house.

The beer poured into my pint glass--IT'S A FOAMER! Wow, this stuff has some carbonation. I tried to pour it carefully and still got four inches of thick, creamy white head. The color is a hazy, golden yellow. Champagne-like bubbles continuously racing up from the bottom of the glass. That head was persistent, too. I used the old forehead oil on the finger trick to try to get it to back down, but it remained at about a 1/4 of an inch during the entire time I socked the beer down. Wow.

The smell is orange, herbal tea and spices. Not big on aroma, this one, but it peaked the interest of the Wonder Beagle. She tried to beg a taste from me the whole time I was drinking it.

The label says this beer is brewed with chamomile and it tastes like...chamomile tea. There's orange, spices, Belgian yeast and a subtle familiar flavor that I can't quite put my finger on. A very pleasant freshness is left on the palate at the finish.

Light to medium mouthfeel with copious amounts of carbonation.

I definitely got my two bucks worth out of this one. Not what I'd call your traditional wit, not with the significant tea flavor, but I really like it. Very kombucha like. Good stuff. I'm Giving Orange Shush a Big Dumb Galoot rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment