Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Alameda Brewing Company - My Bloody Valentine

There will be blood!
Oranges, that is.
I've been meaning to get to this beer since, well, Valentine's Day, but I've been seriously slackin' on my beer drinkin'. I recently had another beer that goes by the same moniker. I reviewed it here somewhere...oh, nevermind. Two totally different beers.

Alameda Brewing Company's My Bloody Valentine is a Farmhouse Saison brewed with Blood Oranges and orange peel. It has an ABV of 5.5%.

The beer poured into my tulip glass a slightly hazy, reddish/amber color. The bright white head came up more than a finger thick and dissipated to a respectable cap of lacing.

Aroma is spicy citrus and sweet malt. There's a mild, bready yeast scent in the background.

Taste is bitter orange over sweet tropical fruit. Mild Belgian spice and hops. The finish is pleasantly dry, giving this beer a sophistication that contradicts its kitschy name. That bitter orange flavor is left on the palate with a tasty malt aftertaste.

This is a really delicious beer and I could drink a gallon of it. It went quite well with the chicken enchiladas my wife made for dinner. I'm giving My Bloody Valentine a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4. Actually, more like 3 1/2. Nice.


No comments:

Post a Comment