Sunday, February 17, 2013

Alameda Brewing Co - Papa Noel's Olde Ale

'Tis the season, almost.

It's almost time for the Holiday Ale Fest! It's on from 11/28 to 12/2 here in PDX. Last year, I drank so much delicious, high ABV beers that I ended the evening eating a big bowl of pasta slathered with Ghost Chile flakes. Actually, I ended the evening rolling around on the floor screaming in agony--or so I've been told. I don't really remember.

In any case, I'm not going to let the same blackout fate befall me again this year. Noooooo! I'm starting my training NOW. It's all a matter of peaking at just the right time. (Cue Eye of the Tiger.) I'm starting with Papa Noel's Olde Ale from Alameda Brewing. It's one of the lower ABV winter warmers out there, at 7.2%

The beer poured into my Dogfish Head goblet a dark brown color with a tan head. The head came in at about a 1/2 inch thick and quickly dissipated. A small amount of lacing was left behind.

Aroma was brown sugar sweetness with hints of dark fruit--raisin?--and cocoa.

Taste has some nice bitterness up front. Chocolate and toffee with some grassy, peat-y notes in the background. I like the earthy finish. Light to medium mouthfeel with low carbonation.

Not the most complex brew around, but it's a nice, pleasant drink. Not boozy at all. I'm giving Papa Noel's Olde Ale a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment