Sunday, February 17, 2013

21st Amendment Brewery - Sneak Attack Saison

How do you catch a unique beer?
Unique up on it...

First, let me apologize for the poor quality of the photo I took of this beer. Don't EVER buy a Motorola Razr. What a crappy, crappy phone that takes crappy, crappy photos. My wife's iPhone 5 takes AWESOME pictures. Wish I had gone with the iPhone when I updated. But NOOOOOO, I had to stick with the Droid. Crap, crap, crappity crap.

Anyway, this is my second beer review of the night. It's a Sneak Attack Saison by 21st Amendment Brewery. I previously mentioned that I really like the art these folks put on their cans. It always seems to be something of historical significance. Kind of like History Rocks for grown ups. I also like the fact that they package their beer in cans instead of bottles.

I lost a bottle of Stone/Evil Twin collab The Perfect Crime today. It fell through a hole in the bottom of the flimsy, cheap-a$$ paper bag the store gave me and exploded on the curb. Yeah, my fault for forgetting my canvas bag in the car. Nonetheless, if that beer had been in a CAN, I would be drinking it right now.

Sneak Attack poured into my glass a hazy, pale yellow color. The white head was almost a finger thick and dissipated very quickly. Virtually no lacing was left behind.

Aroma is big on cardamom and other spices. Belgian yeast and mild malt in the background, along with some lemon peel.

Taste follows the nose. Very herbal with a bit of a peppery bite. Cardamom and coriander. Belgian yeast and generic citrus. The finish is very dry and the flavor immediately drops right off. The cardamom flavor is left rolling around on the palate. There is no sweetness to this beer, but the bitterness is very well balanced.

I wasn't so sure about this one at first sip, but it really grew on me throughout the drink. This brew would go great with spicy food. Wish I had some killer hot Thai food to go with it. I'm thinking this one would go great with some panang curry from the joint down the street. What time is it?

Nice beer and I'm giving it a BeerguyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment