Sunday, February 17, 2013

21st Amendment Brewery - Bitter American Session Ale

Add caption

I admit I can be easily influenced by packaging. 21st Amendment Brewery packages their beers in aluminum cans with some pretty cool artwork. I bought a can of Bitter American because it depicts a chimpanzee in a spacesuit. Like I said, pretty cool. I guess there's also a history lesson in there somewhere.

Bitter American is proclaimed a "session ale" on the label. For the uninitiated, a session beer is typically one with a lower ABV--under 5%--which allows the imbiber to down a large number of them in one drinking "session" without getting totally slosh-faced. Bitter American has an ABV at 4.5%.

The beer poured into my glass a light, golden orange color. A significant amount of lively bubbles could be seen floating up the side. The white head came up to more than a finger thick and dissipated quickly. A minimal amount of lacing was left behind.

Aroma is sweet malt, along with light citrus and pine. There are floral notes and the smell of tropical fruit in the background.

Taste is orange and lemon. There's a hoppy bitterness up front with a light, malty, breadiness following it up. 

Medium to thin mouthfeel with a lot of carbonation. The finish is just a bit too flat and watery for my taste. Once again, this is a low ABV "session" beer, so I suppose the wimpiness comes with the territory. A hop bomb this beer is NOT.

Still, I guess it does what it sets out to do. It doesn't come in a 12 pack, however. In fact, I believe it actually comes in a 4 pack. That's not much of a session in my book. I'm giving Bitter American a BeerguyPDX rating of 2 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment