Sunday, February 17, 2013

21st Amendment Brewery - Back in Black IPA

Dun. duh-duh-dun,
duh-duh-dun...

The third beer in my Whole Foods scratch 'n' dent series (see previous posts) is 21st Amendment Brewery's Back in Black, Black IPA. The beer comes in a 12 oz. can. A black can. I think it's a theme.

The beer poured into my pint glass a solid black with a light tan/mocha head that came up a full inch thick and left behind a decent amount of lacing. The head was lumpy and clumpy and looked like you could eat it with a spoon like coffee mousse.

The smell is chocolate malt and ripe dark fruit with citrus hops in the background.

The taste is roasted malt, chocolate and coffee. There's an overall hit of hoppy bitterness. A pleasant smokiness backs up the zing of the hops and both of those flavors linger on the palate.

Medium mouthfeel with medium carbonation. 6.2% ABV but I couldn't taste the alcohol. 

Interesting beer style but just not my thing. It's like a cross between a stout and an IPA and left me wishing that I was drinking one or the other. I'm giving Back in Black a Big Dumb Galoot rating of 2 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment