Sunday, February 17, 2013

10 Barrel Brewing Company - Hop Rye'It IPA

There's a riot going on...
in my mouth.

Stopped by the Grocery Outlet today because, well, I'm a broke-a$$ loser. Truthfully, shopping at Whole Foods and New Seasons has my checking account balance down lower than a hipster's waistband. I'm broke.

Gratefully, Grocery Outlet knows that having next to no money makes poor people want to drink--a lot. Thus, they have quite a collection of fine, local craft beer on stock. The prices aren't bottom basement low, but they sure beat the cost of anything in the cold cases at those aforementioned zillionaire stores.

Today, I picked up a bomber of 10 Barrel Brewing's Hop Rye'It IPA. It set me back $3.29. Not bad. I really like the beer these folks put out. Typically tasty and satisfying. This brew was no exception.

The beer poured into my pint glass a slightly cloudy, golden orange. The white head was a finger thick and looked quite clumpy and foamy. It dissipated at a normal rate and left behind light lacing from rim to rim.

Aroma is citrus hops with tropical fruit and floral notes in the background. Didn't pick up much malt in the nose.

Taste is tangerine and lemon. Not the typical IPA grapefruit flavor. The hops bitterness fades away to a very interesting spicy zing. Kind of peppery. This beer is going GREAT with my wife's homemade samosas and coconut chutney. As with the aroma, the malt flavor is somewhat muted but it's there in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is medium with very nice carbonation. 6.5% ABV and there is just the slightest alcohol taste there at the end of a sip.

Wow, I really like the beer. This is the kind of beer that goes great with a meal. It is really complimenting the flavors of my wife's Indian cooking without overpowering. Excellent. Just excellent.

I'm giving Hop Rye'It a BeerguyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment